Friday, August 5, 2011

Indigo & Puppy Introduction Plan

I've been thinking about the best way to introduce the puppy into the family, more specifically to Indigo. Indi was an only child for 4 years and then Quinn Mei entered the family, but she was still an only dog. This is going to be a big adjustment for her. I think there will be times she's going to be royally pissed, like when her annoying younger brother is trying to jump all over her when she'd rather be getting her beauty rest. I'm hoping she grows to love him. Indi really enjoys playing with other dogs, once she's familiar and comfortable with them that is. She loves to run and chase and play tug. She can't wrestle very well with her current BFF since he's 60 pounds of per doof. She gets easily offended when he slams her into the couch. But as long as he's pulling his punches she's in heaven. If the pup can learn to back off and play gently when he outweighs Indi (like in 2 months probably!) then they will do just fine. Most likely I'll need to step in a lot in the beginning to help him give her some space.

I still need a plan for the puppy's first day home. Here's how I am envisioning it so far. I pick up the pup, with or without the family depending on the time of day. I'd prefer it to be a time Ian is home. I let the pup walk around the front yard and driveway to get his scent there and take a potty break, then I have Ian cradle him in his arms and maybe walk across the street or a few houses down.

I bring out Indi and let her sniff around where the pup has been. She'll probably spot Ian and become overly excited (not even noticing the pup in his arms). we'll slowly close the gap and as Indi begins to notice the pup I'll either counter condition her or use LAT. Most likely I'll be bouncing back and forth between the two depending on her reaction.

When Indi met my BIL's puppy last Thanksgiving she was a little reactive at first, but quickly calmed down with some CC and LAT. The pup was young and was kept on the couch next to my BIL. He (the pup...sometimes the BIL, too) mostly napped. Since that pup wasn't chasing Indi around she quickly accepted his presence and even felt comfortable enough to lie on the couch not too far away from the pup.

Using this as my example, after our outside meeting I will keep the pup in my lap, on a leash, or in his puppy play area while Indi has full run of the house. The easiest way would probably be to have Ian hold and snuggle the puppy on the couch while QM is able to give snuggles to him as well. That will free me up to give Indi a lot of attention and rewards for relaxing and being calm around the puppy.  I'll have to play it by ear after that. I can put the pup in his play area and reward Indi for calm behavior. I can have the family take the two dogs on a very short stroll, just a house or two down and back. Indi will be too focused on sniffing to care that the pup is tagging along. I'll also let him romp in the backyard without her and once he's finished, let Indi out so she can sniff everywhere he's been and probably mark over all his pee spots.

Indi has already smelled the pups on us after we have visited, so that's already a great start. Getting the scent of another dog quickens her acceptance of him.

I'm sure it'll be a rocky road at first and they will require quite a bit of supervision and even more management. I can't wait for the day they cuddle up next to each other napping. Believe me there will be loads of pictures. I laugh when I imagine them tugging because before long he'll be dragging her across the floor with hardly any effort at all. I'm hoping he brings out her inner puppy even more and becomes a great playmate.

No comments: