Monday, August 29, 2011

Beekers - The Cowardly Lion

Friday Porter and I played Crate Games. I planned to do it right after I got back from taking QM to school, but Porter had other plans. Napping. He did pretty well With Crate Games but I am noticing he's a pretty chill dog so the training dynamics is very different than with my edgy terrier, Indigo.



Having Porter sit while I open the crate is easy. He got that almost as soon as he came home. He has no problem sitting and waiting for more treats to be delivered to him. He usually waits even if I pause and step away from the open crate. It's almost impossible to get him out once I release him, but I don't think it's because I've build enough value for the crate. I think he just get comfortable and wants to relax. Even while playing the game he'll settle into a down and I'll have to lure him back to a sit.

His crating in general is doing much better. Two nights ago we attempted to crate him in the bedroom so I can finally sleep in my own bed and not the couch. He made a fuss but not for long and slept very soundly most of the night. I only took him out to potty once when I heard him stirring. Last night was even better. I placed him inside and he instantly went to sleep. At one point in the night as he was tossing and turning, Ian thought he needed to go out so he approached the crate. Porter just stayed down and looked at him, not eager to get out.

Indigo never cared much for her antler chew but I wanted to see if Porter would like one. Of course Indi's is packed away somewhere so I bought new ones. He loved it and surprise, surprise so did Indi. They kept exchanging since the other's always seemed better.

Last night poor Porter has just finished peeing outside when suddenly the sprinklers turned on! I hope it doesn't mess him up and make him nervous about peeing out back.

On Saturday he came to my puppy classes again. I set him up in his ex-pen while I returned to my car for my gear. He whined for a few seconds and then settled down nicely for a nap and was out for over an hour. We did a couple of meet and greets with some other puppies, but Porter didn't really get into playing like he does with Indi. I think he was a bit nervous since he was stiff but I and hoping to see him relax and begin to play with new dogs soon.

This morning Porter met Beekers, my sister's dog. Beekers is a large tripod Golden who is just the sweetest dog ever. Unfortunately, Beekers is really nervous around dogs if the dogs express any interest or try to sniff him. So despite the huge size and age difference, Beekers retreated any time Porter tried to make contact. If Porter was nearby but not trying to engage him then Beekers was fine. I would love it if they became friends so we'll have to do more small visits.

Porter missed his morning nap since he was at my sister's which means he totally passed out when we got home. I had to beg him to pee before I crated him to pick QM up at school. The crate was still in the bedroom but Porter didn't care. He was still settled when I got back and didn't even want to get out until he saw QM.






I have always wanted a water loving dog and boy did I get one. He may not swim yet, but he sure does love playing with his water bowl. He often hugs it as he drinks and attempts to sleep with his head in the bowl. He frequently paws at it and tries to tip it over so he can lay in the puddle.



Luckily I know other FCR owners and was told the Buddy Bowl is awesome. I looked it up online and almost ordered one for Amazon ($20!!), but just happened to find one at my local pet store. So far so good! He hasn't been able to tip it but if he does it's designed so water doesn't spill out.

I'm attempting a picture a day thing and will string them all together when he turns a year. I've missed some days, but I think overall I'm doing well. Here's how I am posing him.


And more cuteness pix




No comments: