Friday, August 12, 2011

7 Weeks

As usual, some of these pictures are between 6 & 7 weeks of age.

I had a great visit last Saturday with the puppies and was able to meet Mark and Dena who live about 30 minutes away and will also be taking a boy home. This was the best visit yet since the puppies finally came alive. We arrived right when they were waking up so they were fully charged and ready to go! Candy brought out the cat tunnel and the litter pounced on it like a group of velociraptors! But the great thing was seeing most of them dart in and out of the tunnel, even when their litter mates were yanking it this way and that or bounding on top of it. These dogs have no fear. I also brought my PVC ladder and was amazed at their courage. They tromped right over that thing, even when it was 3-4 inches off the ground. Now we just need to work on their finesse since they aren't shy!

Mr. Yellow Posing for Me

Miss Pink *wink wink*




The pups are doing really well with their retrieving practice


Mr. Yellow Retrieving

Miss Aqua the Flying Nun

Mr. Navy Ready to Paint the Town Red

On Wednesday they turned 49 days old and were temperament tested by Teresa Rodney. I was fortunately enough to be able to observe and was able to get videos of a few of the pups, including Mr. Yellow. Aside from having a high pain tolerance and taking a long time to find his way out of the ex-pen he did well. One thing he excelled at was tugging, which is awesome for agility. So far, he seems like he would be a great fit for our family.

On the ride over most of the pups were *very* vocal in the car, but Mr. Yellow didn't seem to make a peep. On the way back most were calmer. Only Mr. Lime made a huge ruckus. Mr. Yellow just laid down and chewed on a bone. Mr. Aqua tried taking a nap.




Today Peachie Orton evaluated each puppy's structure. Mr. Yellow seems to have a good front, which is important for agility. His head isn't the perfect proportions but this will only affect his show career not his dog sports.

Mr.Yellow on the Table

Tomorrow is the last evaluation. Tracy Kerns will also look at their structure and be able to give her insight on which pups have good form for agility. After hearing her thoughts on Mr. Yellow we will make our final decision. But right now everything is pointing to Mr. Yellow. Mr. Navy is a dark horse in the running since in the last couple of weeks he's really been shining. But it's been Mr. Yellow who I've had my eye on since the day he was born. So unless Tracy thinks his body won't be able to handle the stress of agility, I think I have found my puppy. So cross your fingers that tomorrow goes well.

Wednesday is the big day I bring our puppy home! I did more organizing (and shopping this week). Th puppy area is completely ready now. I cleared out Indi's soft sided crate and placed the larger wire crate inside. I also closed the ex-pen so Indi gets used to not being able to go in there.

Puppy Area

I pulled most of his toys out and placed them in a box so I could see what I have. I plan on rotating the toys so he doesn't get bored. I also purchased his puppy collar and leash. There are a lot more cute patterns for girl dogs! Not fair.

Puppy Toy Stash

I still need to set up the other crate in the bedroom. I'm planning on copying what Susan Garrett does with her puppies. She elevates the crates and places them right next to her bed so when she's sleeping her breath goes right into the crate. She can also easily stick her fingers through the bars if the pup needs comfort. With this method she says the pup settles through the night within a day or two. We'll see. But it sounds like a good idea to try at least. And last but not least I need to place the other wire crate in the car and tie it down. It's still missing the crate pan but I can just put blankets down for now.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Love the video of them playing in the tunnel! I wish Dragon were less sensitive to noise and motion. Oh well, he's improving steadily with training. :)

Rewarding Rover said...

Joanna,

It's amazing to see these puppies so fearless since I'm so used to Indi who is very easily startled by sudden sounds and unexpected motion. I was surprised at their reaction to the banging spoon and pan since I thought most would be scared, but many actually walked right on up to sniff the pan!!