Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Party of Five

Our family is now complete. Puppy is home, still nameless.



The short list was Dugan, Sullivan, and Porter. This afternoon I was all for Sullivan but this evening I'm feeling Porter. Candy said there is a FCR named Dugan who is well known, so that is giving me second thoughts on that name. Right now he's "Puppy".

The ride home was noisy. He's crated for safety and he let us know he was lonely. When we got home I put Indi in the kitchen and then brought the pup in and put him in his puppy area. I turned on the video camera (yes, I'm a huge training nerd), leashed Indi, and did CC and LAT as we walked closer to the puppy area.

Overall, Indi did amazing. She was focused and intense on him at first, but the power of cheese overcame her.

He was very comfortable in his area is I was in there, too, but understandably was not as happy if I left, and even more so if I left the room. Puppy was also nervous out back at first, but that could have been due to the loudmouth terrier barking at us from inside the house.

I let Indi sniff his rear a few times as I was holding him and after a few hours put him down on the grass while Indi was outside. He was leashed so he couldn't bug her. Indi was very intense, ears forward, very tall and upright. She started poking at him with her nose and bouncing around him. It was hard to tell if it was play or prey behavior. But in the end it turned out she was trying to play with him. Poor guy didn't know what to make of it though and was nervous. Indi got the zoomies and knocked him down a few times. Every time she touched him he rolled over.

Later he started getting more comfortable and even dared to throw a paw over her back like he was thinking of mounting her. The nerve! Indi doesn't even let her BFF Theo do that! But she only gave him a gentle warning, which he listened to promptly.

They are now able to be loose in the room together under close supervision.

This day couldn't have gone any better. I really thought it would take a week or so for Indi to warm up.

Black dogs are horrible to photograph! Especially in dim lighting on a black surface. What was I thinking?
Puppy also had his first raw meal today. I gave him a chicken neck but tried holding on to it with a fork at first and then my fingers, yuck. I didn't want him to swallow a big piece but towards the end he swallowed a large chunk then I wanted. He snorted around for more so I brought out the 1/4th of a whole chicken I was saving for tomorrow. He was in love! We'll see how his belly does tonight though.




He's the king of cat naps. I think all the new noises is making it hard for him to settle down for long.




All pees and a couple of poops have been outside. Woohoo!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Ooo, congratulations, and good job Indi!! He is too cute!

Did you have that moment after he was in his pen, and Indi had met him, when you were like, "OK, the dog is here, now what?" You just feel like you should be constantly DOING something with him? I had that feeling the first two days Dragon was home, haha. "Is it okay for me to go about my usual business of, you know, eating and cleaning and replying to e-mails?"

Joanna said...

Oh also, I realized that I can continue renewing at the $20/month rate for Puppy Peaks rather than having to pay $40/month, so I'm sticking with it. It's a fun program. I've suddenly gained so much understanding about Susan's methods of presenting choices to the puppy in such a way that he only gets reinforced for making the choices you want. That's definitely more complex, though-out training than most people can pull off.