Friday, May 10, 2013

Ramona Romp

My city dogs rarely get to stretch their legs and run off leash in a big area. There are not a lot of legal places dogs can be off leash. We have dog parks, but most in my area are pretty small and can be very busy. I don't trust most people to bring dogs who are well mannered. Plus, Indi can't go to dog parks since *she's* not well mannered. I also stress about taking Porter in a remote area off leash because what if he runs off! I know, not likely with my momma's boy, but it's still possible.

One of my clients was nice enough to offer the use of her fully fenced in 2 acre property so my dogs can have some fun. She lives about 30 minutes away which is about how far Fiesta Island is (the off leash dog park island near SeaWorld). It's not a bad drive at all and her property is great. It's covered in oak tress so most is nice and shady and it's mostly flat.

After Porter's agility class today we picked up Indi from home and headed on out. There were a couple of spots Indi could have squeezed out of the yard if she really wanted to, so I just made sure to keep a close eye on her and called her back if she got to close. I also kept them away from one corner since I noticed poison oak.

It was a great day and the dogs really enjoyed themselves. I found some dog toys so Porter chased a ball for a bit. Indi was more concerned with marking everywhere and sniffing the plentiful holes in the ground made by who knows what. Some were tiny and others big enough for a fox. I'm sure most were from squirrels or rabbits.

Anyone home?

We were very fortunate to have access to this property. It was nice to just let the dogs explore and be dogs and not be stuck on a 6 foot leash. It might not seem like much, but if you live in San Diego, this size of property is rare (or several million), so my pups have to make due with our tiny suburban yard.

No comments: