Friday, May 3, 2013

ORTs

On Saint Patrick's Day, Porter finished his last two ORTs...Odor Recognition Tests for anise and clove.

I volunteered to help in the morning when the dogs were running birch, so Porter had a long day. He was great chilling in the car for several hours. It was nice a cool that day so no worries of overheating, but I still covered the car with my cool shades just in case.

For his anise run, Porter actually left the odor box, but I had a feeling it was there based on his behavior, so I had him do a 360, checking a few other boxes along the way, and brought him back to pass that box of interest and this time he alerted.

He was much quicker with clove, which is interesting since we haven't worked that one as much. I was about to leave the room and was reminded to grab my score book from the judge. In my hesitation, Porter was able to reach the odor box again and alerted so I rewarded him and while trying to get my book dropped treats. Luckily there are no faults, just pass/no pass.

He won't need clove for a long time since it's only used in the third level of competition, but it was nice to just get this ORT out of the way and not need to worry about it later or travel a long way to get it done.

No comments: