Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Julian


In February we packed up the kid and two dogs into our SUV and headed into the small town of Julian for a few days. I was shocked that we just barely fit everything in my car which again brings me to day dream about a larger vehicle. My goal for this trip was to find a dog friendly property with a large fenced in yard in a town likely to get some snow.

The placed I selected was a nice sized Victorian home (3 bedrooms, 2.5 bath) with 2 fulled fenced in acres. They also had a barn/garage with a foosball table, basketball hoop and a teen room.

When we arrived it was a beautiful, brisk day and we were happy to find a small patch of snow still on the meadow. Porter was in heaven and started rolling around and rubbing his face in the snow.

Our friend and her dog, Theo, joined us and the two boys exhausted each other in battle.







Tulips were starting to emerge near this old wagon so I gathered the pups for a photo op.


Indi likes to run with the big dogs but since Porter is faster than her now she is often at his flank trying to take him down like a bison.

Snuggling with the snow.


Porter adores Theo.

The property was filled with Manzanita trees, my favorite!!



Porter barely moved all night after his first day of romping with Theo.


It was really fabulous to see the dogs have such a great time in on the large property. There were tons of oak and manzanita trees, flat meadows and small hills, a huge area of land to explore. The dogs were in heaven. I longed for a property like this so the dogs could have this much fun everyday!!

The last might of our trip we were lucky enough to have snow fall! By morning the snow was over a foot deep and so soft it felt like fluff. It was too dry to pack into snowballs, but that also meant I could wear sneakers and my socks didn't get wet! And it was too light and fluffy to sled in it. But the kid and dogs had a blast.

Porter and I practiced our nose work hides several times and the snow didn't slow him down one bit. It actually helps I've been told.

Ok, well Indi has a blast for about an hour and then she was over it.


Porter digging for gold. Black dog on a field of snow equals an impossible shot to expose properly! Ugh.
I better get a cookie for standing in this.
Derp, derp, look at me, a cute little snow bunny.


Typical Falt Coat pose after a long day.



It was such a great trip I know we'll be back.




1 comment:

Juniper said...

Beautiful pictures!! I'm envious!