Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Training Plan

In addition to my socialization plan I need to have a clear training plan for my puppy.

In terms of just general training I think I will start with Sue Ailsby's Training Level program. It's nicely laid out, spiraling into more difficult commands and proofing. While I *love* clicker training, I've done a lot more luring with Indigo than shaping. In the beginning I didn't click with Indi at all, so luring is second nature. Sue's instructions are geared for clicker trainers and I'd like to see the results of clicker training a pup from day 1. I don't think I need to be a clicker purist. Luring has it's place and can be very useful but I will try to capture and free shape more commands this time around. Sue's Level program contains all the commands needed for a nice family dog and the higher levels are perfect for a performance dog.

3 comments:

Sophie said...

Sue Ailsby's training levels are fantastic. I really ought to run through them again - I totally forgot about them, but they helped quite a lot to get Lola so clicker-aware.

By the way, don't stop with the puppy photos! They all look so very adorable now they aren't just potatoes.

Rewarding Rover said...

I have done some of the stuff with Indi, but then get distracted by other stuff. I think starting out a dog right from the beginning will be much easily. And it will help keep me organized an have a plan with all the commands I want to teach.

There will be more photos from tomorrow's visit I hope! If the lighting is good :)

Christy Hill said...

Awesome Anita! I did SUe Ailsby's levels when Mickey was young, but later got distracted as well. I bet he could pass many levels now :-) I can't wait until you get your pup and YES bravo, luring has its place, but you will see a drastic difference with a clicker savvy shaped dog!