Thursday, June 21, 2012

Water Baby



Despite being a retriever, having parents who swim, being taken to the beach many times, and being obsessed with playing in water, Porter refuses to swim. Because of this fact, oh yeah, and I'm a little nuts, I signed Porter up for a doggie swim lesson.


Unfortunately there are no pictures since my memory card was full :(



The lesson started with Porter in a life jacket and Trish (the instructor) holding him on the second step. I walked half way down the edge of the pool with treats and called him. He just stood there at first. Then he tried to get out of the pool to come to me but Trish held on tight. Finally she guided him a little into the water and he swam towards me. He wanted nothing to do with the treats so after a couple of rounds I grabbed a plastic toy bumper Trish had. I started with treats since Porter typically prefers them over toys but that day something about that toy turn on a switch.



Once I had the toy he was even more enthusiastic about getting to me. After another few rounds we left the stairs and used the platform in the deep end. It's height adjustable so she lowered it so Porter could just barely stand on it while in the water. He was so into the toy and swimming by this point that he was take off from the platform before I even threw the bumper. He swam right to it, grabbed it, and wouldn't let go until he got to me.

I was really impressed! It was a great workout, too. He had just come from his agility lesson and then swam for 30 minutes but was begging for more. We had to drag him out of the water and he almost pulled me into the pool since he wanted in again.

I can't wait to get him back there and keep reinforcing that swimming is fun! I'm hoping this also improves his fetch! I better go buy a bumper to start practicing with, too.

Here are some pictures of his adventures with Kylie.





1 comment:

Joanna said...

Super cool!!

I'm also trying to teach Dragon that swimming is fun (he can do it but doesn't like it). Now that it's summer again, next few times we visit my parents I'll take him back to the little creek where I first got him to swim.