Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tough as Nails...Almost

Today in agility I threw a ball for Porter's reward after a short sequence. The ball continued to bounce off the field and Porter gave chase. He came up limping with a 6 inch stake stuck to the bottom of his foot. After pulling it out I noticed the nail which must have embedded itself into his pad. As soon as the nail was out Porter took off for his ball without a second thought and he happily trotted back to his crate with his reward.

I'm amazed at Porter's high pain tolerance. He never yelped and only limped when it was stuThankfuck in his foot.

I'm also impressed with his ability to hold still when I need to help him. Last week he stepped on a bee and was well behaved as I checked his paw and flicked the stinger out.

Thankfully another student is a vet and she didn't seem concerned about the injury and Porter didn't know what all the fuss was about. He's not favoring that foot or licking it. Now that we are home I can't even tell anything happened to his paw when I closely inspect it.

Despite being impervious to pain, Porter is a delicate flower when it comes to the heat. It was barely in the low 70's today but the heat was sucking Porter's energy away quickly. His crate is placed in the coolest spot with the most shade and he has his cool pet pad inside, but working in the sun for a few minutes at a time is almost too much still. I foresee skipping a lot of summer trials.

No comments: