Sunday, January 15, 2012

Crates from Heaven

A couple of months ago, just as I was thinking I needed to buy larger crates for Porter (he is using Indi's 30 in. crates in the car and bedroom) I was given a free 42 inch crate. It's perfect for the bedroom. There's a ton of room for him to sprawl out at night.

I still needed to upgrade the car crate and have been hemming and hawing about which size to get. I finally decided on a 36 in. crate and was waiting for a good coupon through Pet Edge. I kept procrastinating and missing the 10% off sales, and luckily, too, since this afternoon my neighbor gave me a free 36 in. crate! As luck would have it, it fits in the car just barely front to back like I was hoping.

It was a fluke we were outside speaking with the neighbor in the first place.  Porter and I were on the couch watching tv when he looked out the window and spied the neighbor working in his garage. For some reason this upset Porter and he sat up, growled and began alarm barking while staring outside. I quickly gathered him up, grabbed some cheese, and headed outside to counter condition him to whatever he saw that upset him.

Once outside he was fine, but I still stood in front of my neighbor's driveway and fed Porter cheese. Which led to chatting with the neighbor and then being given the crate they were going to put in their garage sale.

I still don't know what alarmed Porter. Normally he can't see out that window since I keep it covered so Indi doesn't bark at things going by. So maybe he just wasn't used to seeing people out front while he's inside. It's something I need to work on since one small dog barking her fool head off at the window is plenty! I don't need a huge dog adding to the noise.

No comments: