Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Restless Rover

Porter was not a happy camper in his crate at agility today. I had to babysit him a lot to keep him from barking his fool head off. But at least he was totally focused while we were working. :)

We started with a slightly tricky sequence. The first time through I messed Porter up. I lost him in my peripheral vision and he stopped to sniff the ground before the tunnel. Then my line of travel wasn't quite right and I pulled him off of jump #4. But the second time went very well and he did great!


This is how it should have looked* but I'm sure we were a little sloppier.
*except for the end, our lines shouldn't converge, but I suck at the paint program

Then we worked on threadles for the first time. Just a very simple exercise to practice using our arm change to change the direction of our dog. Porter did well.

Last was the weaves but there was only time for one quick run. I'm glad we've been practicing at home.  The two set of poles were about 3 feet apart and at 1 & 7. I chose the easiest entry since it is a different location than home and it was the end of class. Porter drove ahead with speed and determination and hit both the entries. :) I need to start staking the poles down at home.

Harley was in class again today and while I kept Porter at least a few feet away, he never gave Harley a nasty look. He might have, but I'm not going to give him the chance and practice that kind of behavior.

Even though he was very vocal in the crate today he is doing amazing driving to the crate when we are finished with an exercise. He used to try to rush past it to get to the palm tree or bushes behind it, or even the pool farther along. Now he rushes inside to get treats. He doesn't try to poke his head out and shove through when I unzip the door...he started to for a little bit, but now he waits calmly. Even when I release him if I don't do anything right away he rushes back in. He knows treat rain from the sky when he's in there :) And this is after he had a good breakfast this morning, too! His girlfriend, Jackie, was out of her crate very close to us but Porter was not tempted by the little vixen and remained in the crate with the door open.

No comments: