Monday, December 12, 2011

Uncrating Training in Progress

From the first week I brought Porter home he has gone to my dog training classes with me and stayed in an ex-pen. Right off the bat he was great at relaxing in there and not being upset there were other puppies nearby who were being played with and fed yummy treats. He did the same at an agility trial we went to.

Then I changed jobs and stopped teaching those puppy classes. For two months Porter was required to be in an ex-pen near other dogs. Somewhere around this time I also began training him for K9 Nose Work. And for the first time, Porter started making a fuss in his ex-pen. Ugh. He was enjoying the hunt so much he was not happy to be put away again while other dogs ran.

When I started teaching Nose Work classes last week I brought Porter along. Unfortunately the other dogs are a bit vocal while waiting their turn as well (one is a scent hound with a mournful bay) and now Porter is making a huge fuss while it's not his turn. The sad part of this for me is that means I won't be bringing him to class anymore. I don't want him continuing that behavior and I can't work on it while I'm busy teaching class. Instead I'll need to find time to bring him to the training center outside of class and just work on him remaining happy and quiet in his crate.

Thankfully it has not disrupted his crate behavior at home or in the car. I think if I didn't do something to address it and just let him continue this behavior that it would bleed over to his other crate times and I would kick myself.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Frankie will SCREAM his head off if he knows I'm teaching nose work classes and he is crated in our crate room. It just... does not work, haha. I tried it once and never again. So he is either put into the car or goes to daycare on the other side of the building while I teach.

At least you know Porter is loving it!

Rewarding Rover said...

He's totally loving it. It's adorable to see him prancing around the room as he's searching.

So when Frankie is in the car, does he get turns still or is he just there waiting until class is over?

I thought about putting him in the car between turns but I don't want him to learn to be all worked up in the car as well.