Monday, October 24, 2011

Perch Work and Wii Fit

Porter and Theo


Perch work is really helpful to teach a dog how to move his hind end independently. Once a dog can pivot on a perch it makes teaching some Rally moves much easier. As the dog gains better awareness and control of his backside it also helps while he's navigating on the dog walk and teeter for agility, which are only 12 inches in width.

I haven't worked Porter that much on the perch yet in formal training sessions but I have introduced it casually in the bathroom. Any time I had to use the restroom Porter had to come with me so I could keep an eye on him. Instead of just petting and sweet talking to him for free I shaped him to put his front paws on my daughter's step stool. Once he was reliably perching on his own (no luring or cuing), I withheld the reward (pets and baby talk) until he clambered his whole lanky body up on to the tiny stool.

I didn't realize how strong this behavior had become or that it would generalize until I pulled out my Wii Fit balance board. Indi and Porter have their own dog Miis so I can keep track of their weight. It's easy with Indi since she's small and no problem to hold which is how the Wii Fit wants to weigh the dogs, in your arms after taring your weight.

I pulled out the balance board and was waiting for the program to load when Porter assumed I was waiting for him to interact with the board and he perched on it. Since I didn't want that behavior is ignored it, and like any good extinction burst the behaviors started to vary. When I continued to ignore him, Porter climbed completely on to the board and sat nice and still for me.

My husband knew I wouldn't be able to hold Porter for long to weigh him and he had already suggested that I create a human Mii for Porter and teach him to stand on the board by himself. Mission accomplished! Now the only thing I need to work on is him holding perfectly still since if you shift your weight too much it won't continue with the weigh in.

Porter is so wasteful. Indi never would have left all that yogurt on her nose.

"I'm down, I'm down, now give me the cookie!"

"I'm not looking. There is no cookie. I don't need any cookies anyhow."

No comments: